The “Managing Anger Before it Manages You” group for children ages 9-12 years old, will be facilitated by myself, Donna Damsgaard, MA, Registered Clinical Counsellor and co-facilitated by a Masters level intern.
Working with Anger groups involve a set of psycho-educational groups, using therapeutic approaches, games and activities to help families with children ages 6-17 years old in need of support. It also covers techniques on how to express anger and other emotions in healthy ways. Both children and their parents/guardians will have opportunities to apply these skills in joint and separate group sessions.
The sessions will run for six consecutive weeks beginning Wednesday, September 18, 2019.
They are as follows:
Session 1: Introduction – Understanding Anger, Yours and your Childs’
Session 2: Catching Anger Before It Gets Out of Control
Session 3: Tools for Managing Anger
Session 4: Communication Skills
Session 5: Conflict Resolution and Problem Solving Skills
Session 6: Conclusion – Putting it All Together
Sessions will be held in Red Deer from 4:30pm – 6pm at Catholic Social Services.
Alberta Mental Health
The phone number for Alberta Mental Health is 403-340-5469. Parents can phone this number directly.
Speech and Language Services
Parents can contact Alberta Health Services at 403-314-5250 for referrals for these services.
Alberta Mental Health Crisis Help Line: 1-877-303-2642. Students who are in need of someone to talk to in a crisis situation may call the helpline, which is available to them 24 hours a day.
Suicide Information & Education Services
Suite D 4808 51st Ave
Red Deer, AB 403-342-4966
Alberta Health Services, Provincial Injury Prevention Program (PIPP) - AHS PIPP Webpage
Injury Prevention Centre (IPC) CATT Online - Concussion
Red Deer Catholic Family School Enhancement Counsellors
Our Family School Enhancement Counsellors (FSECs) support the social, emotional and mental wellness of students and families within their home, school, and community through early intervention and prevention.
FESCs meet with children, youth, parents, and families to go over issues affecting student success supporting them to look for options, develop strategies and find solutions.
- Provide support services to families and children facing social, emotional, and family challenges
- Build skills with students in small groups
- Promote effective communication within families and between parents and students
- Assist families in navigating and finding information and resources, such as counselling services, income support, community programs, etc.
- Promote preventative opportunities within the schools and community
- Provide support in schools and in the home
- Collaborate with community agencies
- Organize family events and parent sessions
- Enhance Catholic family values by building home, school, and parish
Please click here for a list of community resources for Red Deer and area.
Check out the Family School Enhancement Facebook page.